Give It A Go

What's the GIAG offer for?
The basic idea of the GIAG offer is to give the beginner a cheap way to have a go at the sport.

What do you get from the GIAG offer?
The offer gives you a day licence from the ACU, day membership of the NHCA and the entry into the event. Not bad for 30 !

Does it apply to all events?
We can do this only at the events that are hosted totally by us - so the choice of tracks is limited to those.

How do I use the GIAG offer?
If you have not hill-climbed before, then all you need to do is to select the event you want to have a go at (the eligible ones are marked on the calendar), download the regs and entry, write out a cheque to "National Hill Climb Association" Not "NHCA" and a covering letter explaining you wish to take advantage of the GIAG offer as a first timer. Put these three in an envelope with two sae's and send them to the secretary of the event as written on the regs - not to Lin Cooper! You will recieve an acceptance or rejection if the event is full sometime before the event.

There is no GIAG at the track I want to ride at, does this mean I can't have a go at the other tracks?
This doesn't mean you can't ride at the other tracks, just that if you wish to do so you'll have to pay the normal amount -about 16 for licences (refundable against a years licence if you want to continue) and the event entry (35-40 ish) follow "Racing for real" below


Racing for Real

So I want to do an event - what do I do now?

1) Either:
a) Write to the secretary of the event(the names and addresses are on the calendar (click on the secretary letter)) enclosing an SAE and asking for an event entry form for the event (known as the "Regs")
b) Download the event entry form and regs from the website and print them out

2) Fill in the entry form, and send it back with the necessary wadge and two SaEs to the secretary of the event as stated on the Regs.

You'll get an acceptance sometime before the event.

How many day licences can I have?
As many as you want, but it'll be cheaper to get a full licence.

OK, so how do I get the necessary licences etc?
Right what you do is this: :-)

1) Get your ACU licence application (download it from the ACU or write to them)
2) Fill in the ACU licence application and put your picture with it
3) Write out a cheque to the ACU for the requisite amount
4) Write out an envelope addressed to the ACU and put a stamp on it
5) Download the NHCA membership application form, print it out and fill it in
6) Write out a cheque to the National Hill Climb Association for the requisite membership amount
7) Address an envelope to yourself and put a stamp on it
8) Write out an envelope addressed to the NHCA membership secretary (Lin Cooper) and put a stamp on it.
9) Put all the above bits into the NHCA secretary's envelope and put it in a post box
The secretary is :

Lin Cooper,
3, Perryfield Road,
RH11 8AA

She'll process your NHCA membership, put the necessary stamp etc on the ACU form and send it on for you. You'll get the NHCA membership back quickly, the ACU sometime later.

Some events we need marshals for - so if you'd like to turn up and spectate, but be useful at the same time, contact the event secretary for details:-)

What do I need to do to my bike?
To prepare your bike, do what you can towards the preparation guidelines, any questions Email me or contact the secretary and we'll try to help..

What do I need to wear?
You'll need to have a ACU gold Helmet (with two stripes around the outside of the logo, not one thick one)
Leather gloves, leather boots, and preferably one piece leathers. Two piece are allowed, but only if they zip together securely all the way around

What about my racing numbers?
Make yourself three number plates, one for the front, two for either side at the rear (the colours are given on the classes page - they are capacity related).

Who tells me what number to use?
The numbers for each meeting are controlled by the secretary, however we do try to let everybody have their own number so that you don't have to keep changing it. First of all, contact the secretary of the meeting, they will let you have a number that is unallocated.

So I want to get a full ACU licence, how do I do that?
Write to the ACU (address or downloadable application forms are online at http://www.acu.org.uk or linked via the ACU logo on the nhca website. You will need a Sprint and Hill Climb licence.

At What age can I start?
Well you can start at Thirteen in the 125 class and then the other classes at Sixteen - However - If you are under eighteen you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The law are that none of the marshals or other event official, including the first aid/ambulance staff, who have not been specially cleared, can touch a person under eighteen unless either their parents or a legal guardian is present. This means of course that we cannot allow them to race unless either their parents or a legal guardian is present. Sorry folks, but that's the way it is.

At what age can I passenger on a sidecar or Trike?

What tyres are best and what type can I use?
Any tyres that are in good condition are acceptable. Slicks are permitted, but remember that tyre warmers are not allowed. As you are only on the track for a minute or less, the stickiest tyres you can get are the order of the day. Wets are used, and often in the dry, but a lot of people (myself among them) find they squirm a lot and walk. Agility is the keyword with hill climbs, acceleration, stopping and the ability to change direction quickly whilst trying to hold the bike on a bumpy track! To this end you may find that smaller width tyres actually give you better results. Initially though, I'd just use what you have and get on the hills, talk to others with the same style of machine and see what suits you best.

Do I need a tyre warmer?
Tyre warmers are not allowed, so if you have got one, leave it at home!

Can I use a Supercharger/Turbo?

Can I use nitrous?
No, pressurised gas isn't allowed, and besides if your nitrous cut in half way round a corner, you'd have little chance of exiting the right way up!

What fuel can I use?
ACU rules now say that all petrol bikes must use unleaded petrol from the pump.
The exceptions are:
Pre 1975 bikes can use leaded petrol.
Methanol is allowed, but an orange sticker should be affixed to the tank of the bike.

What class can I race in?
All bikes are eligible and race in the Competition/Open class - capacity divided. Alongside this are the Vintage & Classic, Forgotten Era, Junior, Ladies and Road Legal championships which have their own specific rules - so you can race whatever you want under 1300cc.


Any other questions specific to the event, ask the secretary, otherwise ask me !


The details given on this page are all Tigger's fault and have sod all to do with the NHCA - officially